Facelifts are one of the most popular types of cosmetic surgery in America, and they’re not reserved only for celebrities in Hollywood and socialites in New York. People all across the country, including here in North Carolina, are interested in maintaining a youthful appearance, and facelifts are a good way to do that. Unfortunately, there are quite a few myths about facelifts. We’re taking on the role of the myth busters today and clearing up some of the misconceptions about facelifts.
1. Facelifts look unnatural. We’ve all seen B-list celebrities with lips that look a little like the Joker from Batman or cheeks pulled up so tight that their eyes look like they’re constantly glaring. But the idea that facelifts look unnatural is a myth. A truly successful facelift should not be obvious at all. You’ll have people saying, “Don’t you look well rested,” or asking where you went on vacation rather than wondering what you did to your face.
2. A facelift will make me look 25 again. While it’s true that facelifts will help you look more refreshed and youthful, expect to look about 10 to 15 years younger. Talk with your doctor in order to go into the surgery with realistic expectations.
3. Facelifts have a long recovery period. Some bruising and swelling from a facelift is unavoidable, it is, after all, surgery. But most people recover completely within one to two weeks.
4. Facelifts are only for older women. This is a myth on two counts! While people choosing to have facelifts traditionally are 55 years old or older, many women in their 40s are getting facelifts. And the results of the surgery are often better when you’re younger. That’s because the parts of your face that are manipulated during the operation will be changed, but what is left out looks the same, so if you’re older, a facelift might help tighten up a double chin, but will still leave you with droopy eyelids. Also, women aren’t the only people getting facelifts. In 2013, about 10 percent of facelift surgeries were done on men.
5. A facelift will last forever. This is actually true! Here at Penta, we like to say that a facelift will last forever, but here’s what we mean by that. A facelift will help you look 10 to 15 years younger. And while we all continue to age, a patient who has had a facelift will always look about 10 to 15 years younger than their actual age.
If you’re interested in learning more about facelifts and how you could benefit from the procedure, contact us, or call Penta Facial Plastic Surgery Center today at 336-768-3361 for a consultation.