Many of us will be making New Year’s resolutions this time of year, and often they have something to do with our bodies. Losing weight and quitting smoking are routinely in the top 10, and both have something to do with an overall goal of becoming a healthier person. But surveys show that as little as 8% of people achieve those resolutions. Sometimes, something big or challenging is just too much to follow through with.
To help out, we have a New Year’s Resolution to offer that we feel you might be more likely to keep — younger looking, healthier skin in the new year. By setting a clear goal with specific steps to reach that goal, you’ll be more likely to keep it. And within weeks, you’ll start seeing results! Here are a few things to consider fitting into your routine to achieve younger looking, healthier skin in 2017:
1. Wear sunscreen daily. The sun emits harmful UV rays all year, and even on cloudy days up to 80 percent of the sun’s harmful rays can penetrate your skin. That’s why the American Academy of Dermatology recommends daily sunscreen protection. It not only helps prevent cancer, it can also help reduce the signs of aging. A study published in the Annals of Internal Medicine found that people using sunscreen daily showed 24% less aging than those who did not, regardless of age.
2. Drink water. While the whole eight glasses of water a day thing might be a myth, it is a proven fact that staying hydrated is important. Dehydration can make your skin look dry and wrinkled, and staying hydrated can help keep that at bay.
3. Exercise. This is one of those New Year’s resolutions everyone seems to make but have a hard time keeping for the whole year. But if you can find time to squeeze in at least three 30-minute work outs per week, you’ll find your skin firming up a little, due to the fact that exercise infuses the skin with oxygen and nutrients needed for collagen production.
4. Clean up your diet. Rather than cutting back to lose weight, concentrate on eating healthy. Choose fruits, vegetables and whole grains over processed foods. Complex carbohydrates like brown rice and whole wheat pasta are rich in fatty acids that have skin-smoothing properties.
5. Consider microdermabrasion, chemical peels or laser facial resurfacing. These procedures are relatively simple and can make you feel more confident about your appearance. Schedule a consultation with the experts at Penta Facial Plastic Surgery Center to let us help evaluate your skin type and personalize a protocol of treatments and products best suited for you and your lifestyle.
If you’ve been considering facial plastic surgery, contact us, or call Penta Facial Plastic Surgery Center today at 336-768-3361 for a consultation.